As we leave Genesis, I want to make mention of a concept mentioned this week (Genesis 41:39) and you'll notice numerous times throughout the New and Old Testaments: when someone is full of the Holy Spirit it is obvious.
I encourage you to reread the chapter if you didn't notice the verse the first time through...
My "take away" from this verse is that when God is all over us, when we do not give up or fatigue in growing in the fullness of His Word and teaching and Spirit (no matter our circumstances), He will call us up and out (of nowhere/anonymity) and He will use us not only because we know Him well, and can be trusted to represent Him well, but because others will see Him in us!
I long to be one of whom it is said, "...she is so obviously filled with the Holy Spirit of God."
A clear outcome of daily reading and meditating on the Word of God, is getting to know God better, becoming more familiar with His ways and His wisdom and His counsel.
May you be so obviously filled with the Holy Spirit that others ask for your services, notice your unique resolve, and find comfort in your counsel.
Amen?
Be encouraged,
Becky
Sunday, January 23, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
AMEN, I too, long to be thought of someone who is more interested and committed to pleasing God than man. That my desire is to be filled with the spirit that others know that can't be Robbie but obviously God is with her. The midwives didn't touch the boy babies, why? because they feared the Israelites God.
ReplyDeleteI am at a doctors appointment today so not sure if I might be able to catch the call in the parking lot.
Thank you Becky, this is powerful!
AMEN!
ReplyDeleteWe were sitting in church one day, many years ago and there was this woman; everyone was always drawn to her and she just seemed to radiate. My husband made a comment about her; he said that “she is overflowing with the fruit of the Spirit”. I had never forgotten those words. I want to be overflowing with God’s Spirit! I want it to be obvious to others that God is with me.
The verse that really stuck with me this past week was Matthew 16:24 “...turn from your selfish ways, take up your cross, and follow me.” I realize to follow Him it will require me to follow Jesus’ example, character and behavior. I do want to follow Him, I want others to see and follow Him so that God can be glorified and His great commission be fulfilled.
I am 7/7 this week (and 7/7 last week - sorry I couldn't post).
I'm going to go listen to the call.
I hope you all have a very blessed week!
7/7 yippee...
ReplyDeleteHere are my words...willing, Life, Bless, trust, courage and light. Each day, I have used one word to focus my day...but what God spoke to me about was really letting it focus my do so that he can guide me. So each word becomes sort of a question or a prayer. Am I willing? Lord, make me willing...but the answers lie in my daily activity.. Lord let me be willing to do my work, to make good choices, to eat the right food to ressist the brownies the kids made. Or today...am I willing to embrace a snow day when my todo list says it is work day. I'm working on denying immediate pleasure and asking if I have the qualities that are desirable for the christian life. Using the word each day keeps me connected with god and in tune with what I am doing...today, the kids are home...in the past I would be conflicted about this day...on the one hand glad to have the kids home...on the other hand their is work to be done...so I stand with one foot in both worlds and get something done, but I don't feel good about it. When I do things god's way, I feel good about what I have done...maybe not the results, but the actions I took to get there. because truth is, when I do things god's way, he often changes my plans...today is a much needed snuggle day with my girls. Snuggle giggle paint toe nails...talk about boys and send silly text messages. surf the internet for songs...this day is priceless...yet it isn't on my todo list. and because I am willing, I don't feel behind. the things that need to be done today are being done today.
this ties in with my working definition of perseverance. For me willingness is about being willing to run the race...not any race...the race...the one that is led by the way and the life and the truth. The key word is the...because there are other ways, other lives and other truths. I don't want them. I want this one. Perseverance is my willingness to run a race where I dont have the answers. I might say I want clean my basement (right Becky:) but on this snow day, I find myself in the attic with my girl sorting through their baby pictures and getting them scanned. I could look at my girls and say wait!!! we're supposed to be cleaning the basement. or I can ask what is the race? am I still running it? Yes, I am. I am still taking care of the chaos created by our renovation. so tonight, instead of being discouraged by what I didn't do. I will be encouraged by what i did.
My area of least perseverance? the mundane stuff the small choices...because I can't see them add up and because like today, they often take me somewhere else which suddenly feels like failure.
But I'm learning that following god even when my todo list says something else is a good thing.
How does perseverance play out in my life? It is the key to unlocking forward moving. Like the movie The Robbins...we must keep moving forward. Even when things are going bad, it is keeping our eyes on good that lets us look at it and see the good. a snow day becomes a rare celebration with my teenage girls...a day of precious mother daughter intimacy. But tomorrow, I must persevere...keep moving forward...some days with my todo list and somedays...well, god sends snow:) blessings every one!!
7 of 7
ReplyDeleteThank you Becky for helping me understand being filled with spirit. Thank you Paige for describing your balancing act. I am eager to do the same!
Proverbs 4:23 speak loud and clear. With the events of my life now it is very important for me to guard my heart or be careful what I think. To apply this I will not only control my negataive thoughts but redirect others.
Paige, those words were some of the same ones I wrote down in my journal this last week. What caught me was that other people noticed that God was with Joseph, even non-believers. However, I missed the verse in Genesis 41:38 that Becky referenced about "obviously filled with the Holy Spirit". My desire is to be filled with the Holy Spirit to the point that it is overflowing into the lives around me. But, I think I need to work on being completely surrendered to God before that will happen and this is an area I struggle with. I give God my oldest daughter, then in a few hours I am worrying about her and not trusting that He is in total control. If nothing else happens during this year of reading through the Bible except for me learning how to surrender, I will be filled with the joy of the Lord.
ReplyDeleteAnother passage that caused me to post it on facebook is Matthew 16:26 when I was reading posts on losing hope and I began wondering were they talking about world hope or the hope we have in Jesus. Anyway, this verse was with me all day. "And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul? Is anything worth more than your soul?"
I am 29/29. I forget to post that.
God's blessing on your week.
Hi All: Another week, 28 for 28.
ReplyDeleteThis week I had some real struggles in my home.
I found myself talking to God about how He saw what the Israelites were dealing with, and He dealt with the Egyptians. I asked Him to deliver me in the same way. Well, just dont send locusts and plagues....!!!
Today was our wonderful pastor's last Sunday with us and he always gave us the goal of letting Jesus be Jesus in us, so people could see Him. but by My Spirit says the Lord....