One of my favorite books of the Bible is Luke. I read it through during the month of December and yet, by reading it during the month of April--often near Easter--that Jesus' teachings were so compassionate and compelling. The story of the prodigal son is much like my own--and yet, most of us can identify a time in our lives when we needed to receive God's unconditional love. That story not only reminds me of how much God loves a "lost child," but how important it is to be a part of bringing the lost TO HIM.
Be encouraged to be a part of the process of bringing the lost to the Cross this Easter--yes?!
Becky
Tuesday, April 12, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Amen, Becky!
ReplyDeleteThe phrase "bringing the lost TO HIM" strikes a chord tonight, for I have spent much of the last five days with some very dear friends who are lost and hurting right now. On my birthday last Thursday (which also happens to be her oldest child's birthday), my best friend, a fellow teacher at my high school, went to the hospital for some "minor" surgery to repair a hernia. I spoke with her at 8:15 that evening, and learned that she was "safe" at home but still in quite a bit of pain. On Friday I went to school, saying prayers for her on the way and hoping I would not forget to bring her papers home. Three hours later, an administrator came to my room and brought me to the principal's office, where I learned that she had died shortly after school opened. Her husband had called to break the news to the office, and he asked specifically that I be notified. When I called him, he sounded utterly lost. Of course, the administration got someone to cover my next class, and my principal even offered to drive me to the hospital, where the ambulance had taken Cathy. Since then, I've helped her husband and their two adult children try to come to grips with the situation and plan the funeral. Tomorrow I will be playing for it. Please pray that I will be able to remain strong for the family and not succumb to my emotions during and after the service, and most of all I ask that you pray for the family as they try to go on without Cathy's kind and gentle presence in their lives and for the students, who don't understand why someone like their math teacher was taken away from them so suddenly.
The service is 1 p.m. Eastern time at my church, and it will be followed by a late luncheon. Tonight the family was comforted by the outpouring of love and sympathy from so many people from our school and community; I know that our friends and neighbors will be supportive tomorrow, but I still ask for everyone's prayers.
As you can tell, I will miss the call once again, but I will listen later.
You will have my/our prayers, Wanda. Becky
ReplyDeletePraying for you now and will lift you and Cathy's family up at 10am PT.
ReplyDeleteSuch hard times.
Dear Lord,
Holy, Holy, Holy is your name most high God. We praise you and know that you hurt when anyone is lost. Right now Lord, we ask that you would wrap your loving arms around Cathy's family and all those who knew her. Help Wanda be your voice in this most difficult time. Give her courage and your peace. Help her keep her composure while playing. You are sovereign, We put our trust in you even though we do not understand all of this. Amen
Wanda, I am so very sorry for your loss and in agreement with Robbie's prayer.
ReplyDeleteI had a Bible study luncheon today and only made it home for the other course's phone call. Again, so sorry for the loss of your friend Wanda....
Becky, Robbie, and Laura, I thank each one of you from the bottom of my heart. Yesterday was a difficult day, but one that brought peace and comfort to the family and friends.
ReplyDeleteEarlier I had hoped that the service would be in the morning, but when yesterday arrived, I was glad for the 1 p.m. time. I was able to get to the church in time to experiment with settings on the organ [I usually play the piano], get the music in order, and practice a bit before the guests arrived.
Our church was packed; many teachers, some students, and representatives from the guidance and administration came, along with former teachers from Annapolis High, where Cathy began her career were there. My principal, Cathy's first department head, two students, and Cathy's son and husband all spoke with grace and eloquence about her special qualities and the ways in which she had touched their lives. Her son-in-law read her daughter's tribute, and a member of the congregation read mine. Finally, the pastor delivered the eulogy, and then the family and many guests made their way to the graveside. Finally, everyone convened in our fellowship hall for the luncheon. People began to leave between 4:30 and 5 p.m., and although we were exhausted, we felt grateful for the outpouring of love and support and blessed by the many wonderful memories were were able to share.
I went to bed at 7 p.m. and slept soundly until my many alarms and my two cats woke me up this morning.
Thank you once again for your prayers. I know the Lord heard them and did indeed wrap his arms around all of us before, during, and after the beautiful celebration of her life.
I've lost count, but Friday wrapped up another 7 for 7........:-)
ReplyDelete7 for 7. Had a very busy last week and haven't had a chance to listen but will try tonight. Wanda, you and your friend's family are still in my prayers.
ReplyDeleteWeek 15: 7 of 7 and 105 of 105
ReplyDeleteIndeed, "God is love and he who abides in love abides in God, and God abides in him.
Wanda, love is evidenced as God surrounded you and your friends, and we shared our prayers.
And, from your postings we have been strengthened as well.