Tuesday, June 21, 2011

God's Name, God's Fame

This week of Bible reading--New and Old Testaments, Psalms and Proverbs, is a reminder that we live to lift up God's name--our lives are a reflection of His power and compassion.  The Psalmist writes, "I know the greatness of the Lord--that our Lord is greater than any other..." Or how intimate our God is as displayed in Elijah's life when "the angel of Lord came again and touched him and said, 'Get up and eat some more, or the journey ahead will be too much for you.'"  The Proverbs remind us to stay away from evil, lying, foolishness, or rebellion, for they separate us from God.  And as the book of Acts promises, the Lord's name is above ALL OTHER names.  The name of Jesus is the name that draws all men to God the Father.

Share His name, pray (using) His name, and speak His name out loud.

Be encouraged,

Becky

7 comments:

  1. I am sorry I missed the call, I had a few minutes before and filled it playing the piano. I didn't think I needed to put the timer on and all of a sudden it was 11:35. The timer is on for the next call and will listen to the taped call tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Got a verse for the topic, wrote this down the other day from the reading:

    Psalms 138:1-3 (TLB)

    2 I face your Temple as I worship, giving thanks to you for all your loving-kindness and your faithfulness, for your promises are backed by all the honor of your name.
    3 When I pray, you answer me and encourage me by giving me the strength I need.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just listened to the recorded call. It was God's plan for me to hear it now. My son came in feeling discouraged, he had some road blocks so I shared with him our Q2 to persevere. Then I tuned into this call and am reminded that God rescue's us when we need it most. Stay in His Word and listen to His voice.
    Message to son Persevere and tune into God's direction for your life.
    Thanks Becky for guiding us all in packaging God's word in week segments.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Laura,

    I used that exact verse for 2 different situations. Good one to meditate on.
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good Morning! I just finished listening to the call. Always amazes me how God uses the call to have me go back to last week and see what was placed on my heart on that certain day. I start my time in the morning with a devotion from Oswald Chambers "My Utmost for His Highest". On June 21st it was all about the only place we are right is in Christ Jesus. He says,"The continual grubbing on the inside to see whether we are what we ought to be generates a self-centered, morbid type of Christianity, not the robust, simple life of the child of God." This really spoke to me. Then I read the OT for the day which was when Elijah was carried up to heaven in a whirlwind. Elijah wasn't self-centered. He spoke the Word of God. I concluded my journal with this question: Am I willing to listen to God and speak the words of truth he places on my heart or am I more concerned about self as the Oswald Chambers reading spoke about this morning?
    I am so enjoying the daily Bible reading this year. I haven't been able to figure out how to get to listen to the live call, but it still blesses me to listen later and to read each of the blogs to see how God is working in our lives as a group and individually. God Bless you each and everyone.
    7/7

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi All: Still cannot get blogger to let me in. The sign in screen comes back on every time I sign in and try to post.
    7/7 again, greatly enjoying the Elisha passages.
    Thanks Lorraine for sharing. Going to look that up now.....

    ReplyDelete