Thank you for laying it out so simply, Becky! These four passages sum up the whole message of the Bible, don't they? As humans, we are all sinful beings, yet through His unfailing love, God gives us the gift of salvation if we merely believe in our hearts, and express with our mouths, that Jesus Christ is indeed Lord. It is so simple, and yet we tend to make things so complicated for ourselves, don't we?
In reading the long (and rather tedious) passages from I Chronicles this week, I was struck by the faithful obedience of the workers in the time of the building and maintaining of the temple. They didn't question their jobs; they merely accepted their fate and carried out the duties assigned to them by the sacred lots--whether they were temple attendants, gatekeepers, or musicians. I suspect that they didn't worry, as we do today, but simply carried on, day in and day out, knowing that God was with them. Even David, who had so very much desired to build a temple for worship accepted God's decision to give that task to Solomon. He could have argued with God or disregarded God's words, but instead in told his son, "you will be successful if you carefully obey the decrees and regulations that the Lord gave to Israel through Moses. Be strong and courageous; do not be afraid or lose heart!" Then he gathered the leaders to help Solomon, encouraging them by saying, "The Lord your God is with you. . . . He has given you peace. . . . Now seek the Lord your God with all your heart and soul."
I was also struck by the perfect order in every detail! Just as God had a plan for the building of the temple and a job for each of the members of the community, so he has a plan for each of our lives. We don't have to figure it all out on our own. If we merely accept our fate, seek His guidance, do our best, and believe that He will take care of us, life will be much easier and much more rewarding.
Although it was far shorter than any of the recent passages from I Chronicles, I found today's section from Romans especially poignant. We have all heard God's promise to make Abraham the "father of many nations," and to make his "descendants more numerous than the stars," but I don't recall ever noticing the line "For Abraham is the father of ALL WHO BELIEVE. . . ." Here are some other lines that stood out this morning: (1) "This happened because Abraham believed in the GOD who brings the dead back to life and who creates NEW THINGS out of NOTHING." (2) "Even when there was NO REASON FOR HOPE, Abraham kept HOPING--BELIEVING . . . ." (3) ""He was full convinced that GOD is able to do WHATEVER HE PROMISES." (4) "We can rejoice, too, when we run into PROBLEMS and TRIALS, for we know that they help us develop ENDURANCE. And endurance develops strength of character, and character strengthens our CONFIDENT HOPE of SALVATION." and finally (5) ". . . how dearly GOD LOVE US because he has given us the Holy Spirit to fill our hearts with HIS LOVE." These are encouraging words for all of us, aren't they?
I won't be able to make the call this afternoon; however, I look forward to listening later tonight and to reading everyone's comments later in the week.
Wanda, wonderful thoughts. Thank you. As a fine arts graduate when I read about those musicians, it always reminds me how much God loves the arts and music. My husband picked me up a vintage sewing machine last week. I love to craft and sew and have really placed it on the back burner. I have a newer machine, but this one just feels like a really heavy duty one and I'll bet it has some history. Anyway, I got all involved in restoring it back to health, and thought of some heavy duty projects I would do on it, rather than anything delicate. It really brought to mind those artistic folk in Chronicles, and how God blesses their efforts. I hope I can create some projects to give away and bless others with.
On another note, I am having to ask God to give me a little love today. My dentist's office lab broke something about two years ago. Ever since they broke it, it has been weak and imperfect. Now it has broken again. I sank an awful lot of money into this, but they feel they paid for the break once and that is all they will do. This was initially a $1700 investment. They want money to fix it again. I am having trouble eating well, and really need this fixed. They admit there will always be a weakness there since they broke it in the lab. I feel let down. This lady is supposedly a Christian doctor. I am praying that I will keep my cool and not show any anger, but I am praying the Holy Spirit will convict her. She really simply should have held the lab accountable like she did before. I'm praying for the Holy Spirit to work this out........
Becky's question stayed with me, how do I feel love from the Holy Spirit? Today I prayed intermittently all day for someone who was having surgery for cancer. I got a text from my-sister-in-law at the end of the day saying the margins were clean and her friend was in recovery. At that moment I felt love from the Holy Spirit. My prayers were heard and that filled me with LOVE.
Becky I loved your answer on how I feel love from the Holy Spirit. I too get very caught up in the worship music and often I stand there with tears running down my face. I always felt a little embarrassed thinking it was midlife hitting me hard, but I now I can see that it is the Holy Spirit filling me with LOVE and I will lift my hands towards heaven and be very thankful to have the tears streaming down my face! I am currently sailing through Southeast Alaska on our boat. I wasn't able to hear the call last week or post but wanted to let everyone know that I do read all the comments and am very blessed to have spent the last 18 months with this group.
One last question that was placed on my heart today as Becky talked about the Roman Road. My mother is a Jehovah Witness and our discussions regarding Jesus don't always go as I have them planned in my mind. I can't see how she doesn't see the lies she is believing. I am open to any ideas on how to witness to her. God's blessings on your week.
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteThank you for laying it out so simply, Becky! These four passages sum up the whole message of the Bible, don't they? As humans, we are all sinful beings, yet through His unfailing love, God gives us the gift of salvation if we merely believe in our hearts, and express with our mouths, that Jesus Christ is indeed Lord. It is so simple, and yet we tend to make things so complicated for ourselves, don't we?
ReplyDeleteIn reading the long (and rather tedious) passages from I Chronicles this week, I was struck by the faithful obedience of the workers in the time of the building and maintaining of the temple. They didn't question their jobs; they merely accepted their fate and carried out the duties assigned to them by the sacred lots--whether they were temple attendants, gatekeepers, or musicians. I suspect that they didn't worry, as we do today, but simply carried on, day in and day out, knowing that God was with them. Even David, who had so very much desired to build a temple for worship accepted God's decision to give that task to Solomon. He could have argued with God or disregarded God's words, but instead in told his son, "you will be successful if you carefully obey the decrees and regulations that the Lord gave to Israel through Moses. Be strong and courageous; do not be afraid or lose heart!" Then he gathered the leaders to help Solomon, encouraging them by saying, "The Lord your God is with you. . . . He has given you peace. . . . Now seek the Lord your God with all your heart and soul."
I was also struck by the perfect order in every detail! Just as God had a plan for the building of the temple and a job for each of the members of the community, so he has a plan for each of our lives. We don't have to figure it all out on our own. If we merely accept our fate, seek His guidance, do our best, and believe that He will take care of us, life will be much easier and much more rewarding.
Although it was far shorter than any of the recent passages from I Chronicles, I found today's section from Romans especially poignant. We have all heard God's promise to make Abraham the "father of many nations," and to make his "descendants more numerous than the stars," but I don't recall ever noticing the line "For Abraham is the father of ALL WHO BELIEVE. . . ." Here are some other lines that stood out this morning: (1) "This happened because Abraham believed in the GOD who brings the dead back to life and who creates NEW THINGS out of NOTHING." (2) "Even when there was NO REASON FOR HOPE, Abraham kept HOPING--BELIEVING . . . ." (3) ""He was full convinced that GOD is able to do WHATEVER HE PROMISES." (4) "We can rejoice, too, when we run into PROBLEMS and TRIALS, for we know that they help us develop ENDURANCE. And endurance develops strength of character, and character strengthens our CONFIDENT HOPE of SALVATION." and finally (5) ". . . how dearly GOD LOVE US because he has given us the Holy Spirit to fill our hearts with HIS LOVE." These are encouraging words for all of us, aren't they?
I won't be able to make the call this afternoon; however, I look forward to listening later tonight and to reading everyone's comments later in the week.
May all of you have a wonderful day!
Wanda, wonderful thoughts. Thank you.
ReplyDeleteAs a fine arts graduate when I read about those musicians, it always reminds me how much God loves the arts and music.
My husband picked me up a vintage sewing machine last week. I love to craft and sew and have really placed it on the back burner. I have a newer machine, but this one just feels like a really heavy duty one and I'll bet it has some history.
Anyway, I got all involved in restoring it back to health, and thought of some heavy duty projects I would do on it, rather than anything delicate. It really brought to mind those artistic folk in Chronicles, and how God blesses their efforts.
I hope I can create some projects to give away and bless others with.
On another note, I am having to ask God to give me a little love today.
ReplyDeleteMy dentist's office lab broke something about two years ago. Ever since they broke it, it has been weak and imperfect. Now it has broken again. I sank an awful lot of money into this, but they feel they paid for the break once and that is all they will do. This was initially a $1700 investment. They want money to fix it again.
I am having trouble eating well, and really need this fixed. They admit there will always be a weakness there since they broke it in the lab.
I feel let down. This lady is supposedly a Christian doctor.
I am praying that I will keep my cool and not show any anger, but I am praying the Holy Spirit will convict her. She really simply should have held the lab accountable like she did before. I'm praying for the Holy Spirit to work this out........
Becky's question stayed with me, how do I feel love from the Holy Spirit? Today I prayed intermittently all day for someone who was having surgery for cancer. I got a text from my-sister-in-law at the end of the day saying the margins were clean and her friend was in recovery. At that moment I felt love from the Holy Spirit. My prayers were heard and that filled me with LOVE.
ReplyDeleteBecky I loved your answer on how I feel love from the Holy Spirit. I too get very caught up in the worship music and often I stand there with tears running down my face. I always felt a little embarrassed thinking it was midlife hitting me hard, but I now I can see that it is the Holy Spirit filling me with LOVE and I will lift my hands towards heaven and be very thankful to have the tears streaming down my face! I am currently sailing through Southeast Alaska on our boat. I wasn't able to hear the call last week or post but wanted to let everyone know that I do read all the comments and am very blessed to have spent the last 18 months with this group.
ReplyDeleteOne last question that was placed on my heart today as Becky talked about the Roman Road. My mother is a Jehovah Witness and our discussions regarding Jesus don't always go as I have them planned in my mind. I can't see how she doesn't see the lies she is believing. I am open to any ideas on how to witness to her. God's blessings on your week.