This week's New Testament reading brings us to the end of Matthew. (I never realized that this book was the first 6-7 weeks of the year's reading before this series--it's quite a "walk with Jesus.")
Matthew 28:18-20 are often repeated verses that (from childhood or youth ministry), you hear as a challenge from Jesus to me and you to "go" and "make" disciples..."baptizing," and "teaching" them to "obey all the commands I have given you."
For those of you who have followed me for the past few years, you know that I'm a member of the "Burning Hearts" Club--those who since 1947 made a commitment to spend one hour in prayer, sobriety as a lifestyle, and purity in marriage, and to lead at least one person to Jesus each year. (The original BH Club was Henrietta Mears, Bill Bright, Richard Halverson, and Louis Evans Jr.)
Would you consider, this year, fulfilling the Great Commission right where you are? Is there someone in your life for whom you've been praying for years to come to know the Lord? Don't give up on them! Pray and share. Invite them to a service or event where they would comfortably hear the Good News (more on this during the phone call). One person a year...
What do you think?
Be encouraged,
Becky
Tuesday, February 15, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Week 7: 7 of 7 and 49 of 49
ReplyDeleteThis week the scriptures of Mark 1 spoke very loud to me: "Come, follow me and I will make you fishers of men" and "very early in the morning, while it was still dark, Jesus got up, left the house and went off to a solitary place where he prayed."
Combined, these encourage me to continue my early morning prayer and reading, yet motivate me to be a fisherman. So, the encouragement Becky to fulfill the Great Commission is awesome.
The acrostic or memory device is wonderful and truly does roll off my tongue. Besides a means to commission someone new, it is a beautiful reminder for all those who have received God but may be holding back.
i love the acrostic too... i am having ashift in my quit time...I wonder if others are experiencing it too...
ReplyDeleteI am finding an inclination to divide my time...a time a listening (to god's word and what he wants me to do with it.) the listening time seems to work well in the morning and helps me start my day focused...brings clarity to my todo list...but I am finding that ending my day with my confessions and my requests is helping me sleep at night....I am ending up with a morning journal and an evening journal...I'd like to ask how others are structuring there time of confession and the prayers they bring to god...are you following a formula? do you keep lists? Just curious.
It is interesting that God's words sends my prayer requests that focus on that day, but my end of day requests focus on what happened during the day. For too long I have tried to do both of these in the morning and it has left me feeling unsatisfied...maybe my hour of prayer is better done as 2 1/2 hours...anyone else feeling that?
Paige, great questions, Last year, I did Becky's prayer notebook and had a page for anyone on my prayer list. husband, kids, bible study girls, missionaries I communicated with. Then there were the random requests. I spent a minimum of 1 hour a day but mostly more.
ReplyDeleteThis year I got a beautiful journal for Christmas and decided to write my prayers in that book. I start with the previous day Psalm move to forgiveness thanksgiving and end with requests. I have found that my praise time has become more and requests less detailed. I like not having my time broken by turning the page. Evening is on my knees and for those who God has placed on my heart for healing. Cancer, divorce, grief etc. This is not written out just outloud at my bedside. My evening prayers aren't lists but lately I have been adding so many that I might keep 3 X 5 cards on my bedstand so I don't forget anyone.
Just recently I have found myself watching taped tv shows and my prayer time in the evening has suffered. I am re-thinking my TV habits and what is God honoring use of my time.
Hi All: Thanks for the sharing and yes, I do need to get my prayers more organized.
ReplyDeleteI appreciate the ideas very much.
I also loved the formula Becky, for leading others to the Lord. I need to firmly burn that one into my brain. It's excellent.
The Psalms are still speaking to me this week, as well as Mark. I have to admit, I have not studied that Gospel very often, and am gleaning new things out of it.
PTL, I am 42 days for 42, 7 of 7 this week.
Hello! Just finished listening to the call. I too like the BRIEF. I have taught a number of Sunday school classes and shared my faith and Jesus with preteens and teens. However, most of them I still don't know where they are in regards to their faith. Sometime, I think God doesn't let us see who we may have reached with the Gospel.
ReplyDeleteOver the years I have done my prayer time numerous ways. In the last 6 months I felt like it was becoming too legalistic and a "to do" item rather than a time with God. That was one of the motivations for me to join this group. Also, I am using the online journal. I have used Becky's journal for a number of year and kept the lists. I like the online journal because it feels less like I am going through a list. This is the first year I haven't kept a prayer request list written down. When I am asked to pray, I try to pray then and there or I write it on a sticky note and pray it that night. I do more of my prayer requests at night and thanking the Lord for the day. I ask God to bring to my mind those people whom I need to pray for and it amazes me at times who comes into my thoughts.
Going where God wants me to go seems to be the theme that I heard through this last week of reading. I am 7/7 or 42/42.
Have a Blessed Week.
Whoops, I think I meant 49 for 49.
ReplyDeleteYikes, I need to be better with my math!
Laura (7 for 7 every week :-)
Two posts today: one a plea for help, another to share.
ReplyDeleteThe old testament reading of Leviticus is difficult for me to understand.
Please provide guideance so that I may make some connections.
My use of personal time for study and prayer periodically changes, so the ideas for study and prayer are very helpful. Please keep them coming in for our learning.
ReplyDeleteAs an Episcopalian, much of my early training revolved around set rites, rituals, and prayers. These always include Psalms of praise, time for requests, the opportunity to admit, and a record of thanksgiving.
So, it was not difficult for me to take Becky's pnemonic PART (praise, admit, request, and thank) to develop a morning pattern. As it is, the structure allows me to "get focused" early morning.
Following the prayer with reading and study then "sticks with me" the rest of the day. Memorizing verses special to me allows me to have something on the tip of my tongue throughout the day.
As the day winds to a close, I try to combine all of these through devotion. I use the Lord's prayer and individual verses to again praise, thank, requst, and thank. Most of the individual verses in the Lord's Prayer may be used for one or more of the PART.
In summary, due to my personality, I begin very structured (or in the box), but through the course and by the end of the day my prayers are more free (or out of the box) for me.
Anyway, it is working! Thanks so much for your encouragement.
Pam, Lev is hard!
ReplyDeleteSince the New (Testament) is in the Old Concealed, and the Old is in the New Revealed, there is a whole lot of symbolism represented byt the tent of meeting and lots of other stuff.
You may have reference books on this, or some great resources are blueletterbible.org, and Netbible.com. It's tedious to read, but it all has a purpose of course.
Someone else may have some other ideas....
Thanks for sharing your prayer tips too!
ReplyDeletePam, What a great way to stay tuned into God starting moving through the day and ending. I was encouraged by your perseverance. I would like to do more memorizing scripture; a practice that I start and stop continually. The idea of starting with the structure and moving into the free form is a good base. I am taking a class from a professor at Biola; last night I came away with this is too much about rules and theory's and less about hearing the spirit of God. Maybe it was Lorraine's post that got me thinking. So when I knelt in prayer at the end of the day I asked God to bring to my mind who he wanted me to lift up to him. I prayed very specifically remembering peoples names (this is definitely God as I have trouble remembering my relatives names let alone somebody who asked me to pray for their sister.) So Thank you Pam and Lorraine for showing me some balance.
ReplyDelete