Eugene Peterson, in his paraphrased version of the Bible, The Message, explained in the preface of the Psalms that for most Christian centuries, Christians learned to pray by praying the Psalms.
This week in the Psalms, 40-45 especially, are some of the most meaningful Psalms to me.
Psalm 40 is, to me, is the story of my salvation--lifted from the mud and mire.
Psalm 45 is the prayer of a writer, a lover, and a warrior...each is a role in which I see myself, and I am given courage and hope as I pray--or paraphrase--these Psalms in my own words.
Choose a Psalm this coming week (or from last week) and paraphrase, making it your personal praise prayer. Please post one of the verses that had a great meaning to you or significance for you.
Be encouraged,
Becky
Tuesday, March 1, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 out of 7 Yeah...
ReplyDeleteI will be working on my psalms and post them later.
I don't really have a better day...I am fine listening to the call recorded. I'm on eastern time and the current time is touch down time for my kids. Touch down time is followed by homework time and snack time and chauffer time and dinner time. So, I'll stick with the recordings...my schedule complicates things:)
This week, God reminded me that wildnerness is a necessary part of life, not punishment...it is where we change. So, I am working on experiencing my wildnerness as a place to meet God and be changed.
God spoke to my life situation with proverbs...too much talk leads to sin be sensible keep your mouth shut. I hear God asking me to do more listening with my children. As they morph into teenagers, I need to be careful with my words. I need to think more and choose words carefully.
I was reminded of the importance of Sabbath rest and of the rest being about setting the day apart from the ordinary. I am thinking about this for my family...cut off cellphones and computer? Get out side, maybe going out to lunch...getting more intentional about rest..>I often find myself collapsing on Sundays and the chidlren take advantage of the opportunity to zone out with electronics. It leaves them unrested.
I am reminded this week that god is my husband and he thinks I am beautiful. I needed that this week.
Good Morning! I am 7/7, yahoo. With God all things are possible.
ReplyDeleteThere are a number of Psalms that touched my heart this last week. I start my quiet time out with the Psalm of that day and use it to praise the Lord. As with Psalm 42 I started with a cry out to the Lord but ended it praising God for who he is.
Psalm 42:5,8
"Why am I discouraged? Why is my heart so sad? I will put my hope in God! I will praise him again--my Savior and my God! But each day the LORD pours his unfailing love upon me, and through each night I sing his songs, praying to God who gives me life."
Psalms 46:1 "Godd is our refuge and strength, always ready to help in times of trouble."
Psalms 46:10 "Be still and know that I am God!"
Psalms 47:1-9 my paraphrase GOD IS GREAT!
Have a blessed week.
Becky, I love the idea of paraphrasing the Psalms in a book for my children! Thank you
ReplyDelete63 of 63 (7/7).
ReplyDeleteStill working on the Psalms.......
Hope you are having a blessed weekend.
Wanted to share an experience on praying the Psalms.
ReplyDeleteI was saved in 1973, while in junior high school. At that time there was a girl who truly was a bully to me, so bad that I could barely stand to be in my journalism class.
I prayed at least one of the Psalms every day, that was my first use of the Word of God after accepting the Lord.
Well, years later that girl rented the house next door to us, for a short time. I was able to have her over to a Christmas party, with her father who was a former local TV personality. It appeared he had alzheimers or something had happened to him.
God is good, He sent the "bully" back into my life. A reminder of those days of praying the verses back to Him and how years later He turned the relationship into a good thing.
The Psalm I am looking at this weekend is Psalm 48:1-14.
"How Great Is the Lord and How Much I Should Praise Him."
7/7 Ps 50:14 Make thankfulness your sacrifice to God,..
ReplyDeleteI started to look at everything in my life with this attitude and voice it out loud. So when I am making dinner I said to my husband, "I feel blessed that I like to cook." This thankful attitude made such a difference in my week.
Ps 50 prayer:
Oh Lord, the mighty one you are God and you have spoken. You have summoned all humanity from where the sun rises to where it sets. From Mount Zion, the perfection of beauty, you shine in glorious radiance. You are my God. I will make THANKFULNESS my sacrifice to you God. I can call on you when I am in trouble and you will rescue me. I will honor you by giving thanks. Help me keep on your path for I long for you to reveal to me your salvation. Amen
Week 9: 7 0 7 and 63 of 63
ReplyDeletePsalm 40: 4
"Happy is the man who trusts in the Lord." The Everday Bible
Psalm 40: 4
Blessed is the man who makes the lord his trust." The One Year Bible
After reading several books authored by Becky, the first prayers for my study was paraphrasing the Psalms. There is such a variety of Psalms that it is easy to find one that fits my day and time.
Psalm 40: 4 is a daily verse off my lips and in my mind.