Thursday, September 29, 2011

Ephesians ROCKS!

After spending 3 days on a college campus, I was reminded (each time I turned to my daily reading this past week) that Ephesians is a current, relevant, and instructional manual for those who work, live with or mentor students.

Once you (believers) were dead because of your disobedience...You used to live in sin, just like the rest of the world...all of us use to live that way, following the passionate desires and inclinations of our sinful nature.  But God so rich in mercy...raised us from the dead along with Christ.


By God's grace and mighty power, I have been given the privilege of serving Him by spreading this Good News.  Because of Christ and our faith in him, we can now come boldly and confidently into God's presence. When I think of all this, I fall to my knees and pray to the Father.


With the Lord's authority, I say...put on your new nature, created to be like God--truly righteous and holy.


Don't use foul or abusive language.  Let everything you say be good and helpful, so that your words will be an encouragement to those who hear them. And do not bring sorrow to God's Holy Spirit by the way you live.


Imitate God in everything you do because you are his dear children.  Let there be no sexual immorality, impurity or greed among you. Don't be fooled by those who try to excuse those sins. Carefully determine what pleases the Lord.


A final word: Be strong in the lord and in His might power.  Put on all of God's armor...For we are not fighting against flesh and blood...but against unseen might powers in this dark world...


Pray in the Spirit at all times and on every occasion.  Stay alert and be persistent in your prayers...and pray for me, too.


I would love to hear how these words were relevant in your life this week.

Be encouraged,

Becky



4 comments:

  1. This afternoon when I sat down to listen to the call I had this urge to make a bowl of popcorn. I had to laugh when Becky wanted to title a bible study Go Eat Popcorn. It was all I could do to stay listening to the call and not go and eat popcorn. All kidding aside. What refreshment to the soul is this passage in Ephesians. My college son is struggling big time with anxiety to the point his chest is hurting. He is overwhelmed. These words jumped out and protected me from worry and propelled me forward to pray, pray, pray. The enemy wants to take my son down, but my son can choose God and put on God's mighty armor. God has saved him before and he can save him now. Isaiah 57:14 God says, "Rebuild the road! Clear away the rocks and stones so my people can return from captivity.
    As I said to my son You get to have a DO OVER God wants you for his own. So many pressures these college kids have.
    I have a friend who is worried about her college son, I told her to write out a prayer and every time she catches herself worrying get that card out and pray. Becky, the more I see the pressures these kids have the more I pray that God would use you to give them courage and hope in Jesus. Trust and Obey for there is no other way to be happy in Jesus is to trust and Obey. Lorraine, often I lift you up to our Lord, when I read Isaiah 58: 11 I thought of you. "The Lord will guide you continually, giving you water when you are dry and restoring your strength."

    ReplyDelete
  2. One more thing, in Becky's call she said Be strong in the Lord and pleasing God is a way to strive for being Holy. (paraphrased) 20 years ago, my husband said, I don't love you and I don't want to be married anymore. I was devastated I signed myself and my 3 children ages 1, 4, & 6 up for summer christian camp. We left and I figured that while I was at this cabin I would be able to consult God and get some direction. I dedicated my time there to prayer and immersed myself in the word. It didn't take long before my husband called and said he was wrong, he did love me and wanted to bring all of us home. It has been a long journey, the rewards are great when your desire is to please God. He has taken care of me and provided more than I could ever imagine. My two daughters married wonderful christian men that come from dedicated christian families. My husband can not imagine his life without me in it and recognizes that God is my strength and shield. Do what is pleasing to God even if it means staying in a marriage that isn't easy. I am forever amazed at the direction God gives me by being in his word. Isaiah 60:19 "No longer will you need the sun to shine by day, nor the moon to give its light by night, for the LORD your God will be your everlasting light, and your God will be your glory."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Robbie for your sharing. As you see, I finally got my posts to take! I'll be praying for your son and Lorraines too.
    I wrote some instructions from Ephesians this week. There are indeed plenty there.

    Another week of 7/7.

    Blessings all for the week ahead.
    PS I'm taking the Bible Study Fellowship course on Acts for about the fourth time over 16 years. But this time I'm really paying attention to the power the Holy Spirit gives us, and to Paul's instructions as we read through the Bible together. Trying to tie the two courses together.........and of course it works (in God's perfect timing!).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Becky, in your opening comments above, you mentioned how relevant the book of Ephesians is "for those who work, live with, or mentor students." How true that comment is. Robbie, you spoke of the pressures that college students face, and I pray for you and Lorraine that God will give you just the words these young people need to hear.

    I am amazed at the situations even high school students have to deal with. This semester I have so many whose home lives resemble those of the people on the soap operas on television. One young lady, who is not yet 14 years old, wrote in a journal about how she has been raised for the last several years by her older sister, for her parents "just never knew how to be parents." Already I can see that this precious little girl craves attention; she wants to fit in, even if that means choosing less than stellar groups, and although she is bright, she doesn't want to look too studious for fear of turning more popular students away. I spoke with a guidance counselor about her a few days ago, and the counselor told me that the sister, who is only a few years older, is living with her boyfriend at his home; his parents have taken in the sister, the student I have, and a younger one, too. I believe all of the girls are living in the basement--most likely with very little supervision or guidance. My heart goes out to this girl, and I try to be kind and supportive of her in class and when I see her in the halls. . . .

    "Don't use foul or abusive language. Let everything you say be good and helpful, so that your words will be an encouragement to those who hear them." These words, which Becky quoted above, really struck me this week, for we had an incident in school almost two weeks ago in which one of our teachers apparently made a blatant racial slur to one of his students, leading her to a "melt-down" and ultimately bringing about his removal from our school until an investigation can be conducted. While many of the students have some idea of what is going on, others are confused and disappointed, and they don't understand why preparations for the fall play have come to a standstill. When anyone asks me, I simply say that I have heard a few things, but don't know what is true and what is not. I urge them not to spread gossip, but instead to be helpful to the substitute(s), see if their parents might be allowed to step in to help with the production, and think positive that there will be a good outcome. This incident has certainly made me think about the words I choose, and it has shown me how a few words carelessly flung can have such far-reaching and devastating effects.

    Robbie, thank you so much for sharing so honestly not only how God sheltered you and your children when you were hurting so much, but how He answered your persistent prayers by changing your husband's heart and restoring your marriage. To borrow a phrase from the other group, you truly are a "leader, lover and healer" and a wonderful participant in this group.

    Laura, I've heard so many good things about BSF! It sounds as if you are learning and growing through your commitment to God's word. I'm eager to see how the two courses do tie together--looking forward to your posts.

    Have a great week, everyone!

    ReplyDelete