Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Another Repeat Statement

Over and over and over throughout the book of Ezekiel the Lord tells the people (through Ezekiel) in some version of this statement (EZ 33):


When I have completely destroyed the land because of their detestable sins, then they will know that I am the LORD.'

I can't remember reading the thread so often in any other book of the Bible, nor do I remember   it said so often in Ezekiel.  Why?  Why so often?

Your thoughts?

Be encouraged,

Becky

3 comments:

  1. Well, I went on an Internet Bible hunt on this one.
    Matthew Henry's commentary said:

    The cause of all this was very bad; it is for all their abominations which they have committed. It is sin that does all this mischief, that makes nations desolate; and therefore we ought to call it an abomination. [7.] Yet the effect of all this will be very good: Then shall they know that I am the Lord, am their Lord, and shall return to their allegiance, when I have made the land most desolate.

    The thing I came up with was that He was going to wipe them out, but in the end they would know His goodness. Of course, over and over again He gives so many chances and Israel managed to keep blowing it, even right through having the Messiah in their midst.

    My application would be to recognize how many chances He gives me, to worship and thank Him and be repentant for my own sin. Some things (self) are going to have to be made desolate (to die). Some lessons are going to be learned the hard way, through His loving discipline. But I will know that He is God and Lord.

    Have a blessed holiday.

    7/7
    Laura.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also noted this:

    Ezekiel 39:7 (NASB)
    7 . And the nations will know that I am the Lord, the Holy One in Israel.

    Ezekiel 39:28 (NASB)
    28 "Then they will know that I am the Lord their God because I made them go into exile among the nations, and then gathered them again to their own land; and I will leave none of them there any longer.


    So, it's to the nations in one instance and to Israel in the other. Note "their" God.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ezekiel is always an eye opener to me because I see so much of our world today in what is written. It breaks my heart when I listen to the news and hear how far mankind for the most part has walked away from God.
    I went to my study Bible to see what was said about the book of Ezekiel. It says that Ezekiel lived during a time of “international upheaval”. During this this time the prophets teach the Sovereignty of God over all creation, people, nation and history. God’s presence is seen in Ezekiel’s world. God determines to be known and acknowledged. I feel that is still true today, especially as I read the OT. “Then they will know that I am the LORD” occurs 65 times to attest to this desire. God will be revealed in the destruction of the temple and the fall of Jerusalem. Through this God will also be made known when Israel is restored spiritually.
    When I look back over the last weeks reading of the OT what stood out to me was the LORD saw the sins of the people. He used unbelieving Kings to do his will. All this was to remind his people the He is the Sovereign LORD. It makes me ask what he thinks about our world today.

    7/7

    Have a Blessed Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete