I couldn't help but read (and re-read) II Peter slowly when I realized what an amazing statement of promise Peter was giving believers (vv 3-4 paraphrased):
* We have all we need for living a godly life because of God's divine power that He has given us.
* We have been enabled to share in his divine nature and escape the world's corruption caused by human desires. (WOW!)
In response, we are encouraged to supplement our faith "with a generous provision of moral excellence...knowledge...self-control...patient endurance...godliness...brotherly affection...and love for everyone."
God gives us what we need to live in response to His great goodness toward us. We are not on our own. We don't have to muster up the ability. His divine power in us enables us. Why do we seem to forget this--or sometimes fight it?
More on the call...
Be encouraged,
Becky
Monday, November 28, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2Peter 1:3 is printed out for me to be reminded of everyday.
ReplyDeleteWhat reassurances we have when we read and remind ourselves of God's promises during times of peace and times of stress and uncertainty. Today's reading from Ps. 119 ends with " . . . you are near, O Lord, and all your commands are true. I have known from my earliest days that your laws will last forever." Sometimes we do seem to forget, but he is faithful still!
ReplyDeleteWish I could make the call tomorrow. . . . I will listen later in the evening.
Wishing all of you blessings this week!
Wanda
2 Peter 1:5-8 (TLB)
ReplyDelete5 But to obtain these gifts, you need more than faith; you must also work hard to be good, and even that is not enough. For then you must learn to know God better and discover what he wants you to do.
6 Next, learn to put aside your own desires so that you will become patient and godly, gladly letting God have his way with you.
7 This will make possible the next step, which is for you to enjoy other people and to like them, and finally you will grow to love them deeply.
8 The more you go on in this way, the more you will grow strong spiritually and become fruitful and useful to our Lord Jesus Christ.
My post isnt taking.
Anyway, this is what I was trying to say on the call but didnt have my Bible in front of me to access it.
I am seeing a thread run through my reading and studies, telling me to focus on Him more directly instead of any fear, worry or concern I may have. I think this all goes along with today's topic and call.
Have a blessed rest of the week.
Laura,
ReplyDeleteI thought you said it rather well on the call. One of Steve Covey's principles is to begin with the end in mind. If our end result is to be Holy (theme of Peter) then keeping our focus on Jesus and His almighty power helps us to achieve that purpose. Thank you for verse 6 it was exactly the word I needed tonight.
I know what you mean about trying to say something and having it not come out the way you wanted it to. If I had a do over I would say I am seeing God's almighty power in relationship to answered prayers and changes in my attitudes and actions towards others.
I'm working hard on this area.
ReplyDeleteIt's pretty clear business is not doing well.
I may still have to go find an extra job.
The things I love (Bible study, ministry) may not be able to secure me one. I'm trying to still figure out what God wants me to do.
I have no clue.
So yes, vs. 6 and 8 are useful to me right now.
7/7 for another week
1 John 4:11
ReplyDeleteDear Friends, since God loved us that much, we surely ought to love each other. 12>No one has ever seen God. But if we love each other, God lives in us, and HIS LOVE IS BROUGHT TO FULL EXPRESSION IN US."
My prayer today is that God's love would be brought to full expression in me. That in all I do and am would be that base. So I will (Ps 123:1) lift my eyes to you, O God, enthroned in heaven. I will keep looking to the LORD my God for his mercy.
We all need God and his mercy on our lives. Praying that all the ladies in this group Lord, today, this day would feel your mercy, lovingkindness, and abundant peace. Your divine power has given us all we need for this life. You have called each one of us by your Glory and goodness. Lord, be with the brokenhearted, the family that lost their 17yr old give them a glimpse of hope, be with those struggling with finances be their source to make ends meet. be with those whose loved ones have strayed from you, give them everlasting hope and peace. Your kingdom come your will be done. Lord be with our leaders, Becky especially that you would give them endurance to keep spreading your message even when the world turns the other way.I look up to you oh Lord where my help comes from you Lord who made heaven and earth. You are majesty the giver of HOPE. Come lord Jesus guide our lives, bring your full expression of love in us, your servants. Amen
Robbie, Thank you for the wonderful prayer.
ReplyDeleteAmen, yes thanks Robbie!
ReplyDeleteBeautiful!
These versus’ spoke to me when I read 2 Peter.
ReplyDelete"May God give you more and more grace and peace as you grow in your knowledge of God and Jesus our Lord." 2 Peter 1:2
When you hear the Word of God, it will touch your heart like a cleansing fire and you will desire more and more of God. When this happens, God will give you more grace and peace. As I have gone through the years of teenagers and rebellion, I am learning to rely more on God and less on myself!
"They (false teachers) promise freedom, but they themselves are slaves of sin and corruption. For you are a slave to whatever controls you. And when people escape from wickedness of the world by knowing our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ and then get tangled up and enslaved by sin again, they are worse off than before." 2 Peter 2:19-20
My mother is a Jehovah’s Witness so the false teacher versus always speak loudly to me. And when they do, I know that God is enabling me to pray or speak.
"I am warning you ahead of time, dear friends. Be on guard so that you will not be carried away by the errors of these wicked people and lose your own secure footing. Rather, you must grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. All glory to him, both now and forever! Amen.” 2 Peter 3:17-18
My heart has been heavy for a few years now for the 20 something adults in our town. I see them spending their time at evil activities. We have such a focus on the high school age that the college age seems to be forgotten. I continue to pray and when Becky wrote “we are not on our own or have to muster up the ability” this spoke to me that God will enable me to minister to this age group where I am.
7/7
God’s Blessings this Christmas Season as we prepare for the coming of Christ.
Have lunch fellowship after Bible study tomorrow so I may miss the call.
ReplyDeleteLaura.