Monday, April 16, 2012

You should always pray and never give up!

Wow! Don't you just love hearing Jesus talk about prayer--what to think about it, how to do it, when to persist?

Luke 18: 1-17 is one of my favorite readings. It includes the story of a widow (on her own) who persists in asking a judge (who doesn't fear God or care about people) for justice.

What do you find in this passage that gives you courage to pray BIG prayers and to ASK for God's help (over and over and over)?

More on the call...

Be encouraged,

Becky

8 comments:

  1. I had to drop out of my Bible study in december because the small group leader said we are not to pray the same request over and over. The district leader backed me up and said no, we pray for the same thing for years and years if we have to. Of course, in referencing this passage I knew the truth and I knew it in context. An unfortunate incident. I can only pray for the person.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This Bible passage is one that always gives me hope as I pray the same prayer over and over again for my prodigal daughter. I think it is sad when people feel you can't pray the same prayer. I will continue on my prayer list that has the same names on it for the last 12 years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Psalms 86:1-17 (TLB)
    1 Bend down and hear my prayer, O Lord, and answer me, for I am deep in trouble.
    2 Protect me from death, for I try to follow all your laws. Save me, for I am serving you and trusting you.
    3 Be merciful, O Lord, for I am looking up to you in constant hope.
    4 Give me happiness, O Lord, for I worship only you.
    5 O Lord, you are so good and kind, so ready to forgive, so full of mercy for all who ask your aid.
    6 Listen closely to my prayer, O God. Hear my urgent cry.
    7 I will call to you whenever trouble strikes, and you will help me.
    8 Where among the heathen gods is there a god like you? Where are their miracles?
    9 All the nations—and you made each one—will come and bow before you, Lord, and praise your great and holy name.
    10 For you are great and do great miracles. You alone are God.
    11 Tell me where you want me to go and I will go there. May every fiber of my being unite in reverence to your name.
    12 With all my heart I will praise you. I will give glory to your name forever,
    13 for you love me so much! You are constantly so kind! You have rescued me from deepest hell.
    14 O God, proud and insolent men defy me; violent, godless men are trying to kill me.
    15 But you are merciful and gentle, Lord, slow in getting angry, full of constant loving-kindness and of truth;
    16 so look down in pity and grant strength to your servant and save me.
    17 Send me a sign of your favor. When those who hate me see it, they will lose face because you help and comfort me.


    (we had this in our reading this week. Been praying it every day. Have a blessed weekend, 7/7!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Robbie oh Robbie, where have you gone?
    Hope all is well!?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laughing out loud!! Miss me huh? Truth be told, I wrote quite a long excerpt yesterday and when I pushed the button to save it, whew it was gone, so I just shut off the computer and went to bed. I was in Atlanta packing my daughter to move back to So Ca. Yeah!!! Love this psalm and the way you prayed it. I think of all of you often and include you in my prayers. I keep a note card that I read out loud each day.
      Laura: work and encouragement
      Lorraine: hope for daughter
      Wanda: endurance and not grow weary with school responsibilities
      Mickey: smile on your face, encouragement and lighter load
      I make a new card once a month. So if during the month one of you has a request it goes on my card. I do it for people I meet that ask for prayer. Ok, this is a long reply. I will answer the prayer thing separately.

      Delete
  5. Prayer is crucial to keep on keeping on until God either answers or redirects you to pray differently.
    I have prayed for several things for years and just when I thought it was no use, God in his mighty power answered. I think about how long some of us have been together and the things God has answered, it is wonderful.
    I used to say that I prayed for my husband for his salvation when really I prayed once in a while. I changed that with the CYL notebook because there was the prayer written out and I read it everyday. Things really started to happen around here when I did that. Hubby now goes to church with me and has made some adjustments in his lifestyle. He believes that Jesus is the son of God but doesn't seem to have made a commitment to him. I think it is hard for people who are good, decent, and have high character to make a decision for Jesus. We have to need the redemption that Christ gives us.
    Well, I better stop. You put my fingers on the keyboard and they just fly. If any of you in this group want to come to California, I would love to put you up at my house, we have a guest house. Just think the discussions we could have.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Robbie, good to 'see' you back!
    Thanks for the reminder about continuing to pray for the requests we have written down, no matter how long it takes.
    Have a blessed Sunday all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Robbie, how I appreciate your faithfulness in praying for all of us. . . . I feel like such a "prodigal" this year, but I promise to be back in the group soon. Tonight is the first time in ages that I have actually sat down and logged on to this group, and there were your encouraging words--"endurance and not grow weary with school responsibilities." That is exactly what I needed to hear! I love my students, but I have so many of them this year that I struggle constantly to keep up with paperwork and juggle school and other responsibilities. I continue to begin the day with the Change Your Life Daily readings and prayer, but I have missed this group terribly and want to get back to participating regularly.

    Becky, Laura, Lorraine, Mickey, I pray for each of you and hope that you have had a wonderful 2012 so far.

    Becky, I appreciate so much your faithful actions, tireless prayers, and wise words, and when life gets stressful, I often remember your bits of advice.

    God bless all of you!

    ReplyDelete