Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Nehemiah's prayer...

Nehemiah is such an encouraging book in the Bible, for many reasons, but most especially because of his leadership skills and emphasis on prayer.  As I was reading this week, I noted each of the ways Nehemiah lifted up God's name and presence in front of others.  He praised the living God for:

*creating all living things
*choosing them
*giving them land
*keeping His promises
*hearing their cries and seeing their misery
*performing miracles on their behalf
*rescuing them
*defeating their enemies
*leading them by day and night (by pillars of cloud and fire)
*coming down and speaking to them
*instructing them
*giving them bread and water in the wilderness
*proved Himself faithful even when His people were unfaithful.

After reading this list, I thought of how Jesus' life on earth reflected many of the same characteristics.  I also filtered the list through my own life -- and how God meets me.  I encourage you to do the same as you read through the Word daily!

Be encouraged,

Becky

8 comments:

  1. What Becky said in her call today was crucial to living a life dependent on God. I was distracted by the echoing, which made me think that Satan did not want me to hear what Becky said. I am going to listen to the call again later. There is much heaviness in my life right now so the question that keeps coming at me is, "How do I live a life that honors God" I am grateful that reading the bible is a habit that sustains me and even others. I like being able to look at bible characters and pick up life lessons. God proved himself faithful even when His people were unfaithful. AMEN We have hope in the living God. Ps 34:15 The eyes of the LORD watch over those who do right; his ears are open to their cries for help. Nehemiah was a model for doing it right. I don't know the outcome of the situations going on in my life, but God does, so I will keep praying and reading His instructions. Thank You Becky: your words were God inspired, exactly the encouragement that I needed today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry I missed the call. Wil review tonight.
    I was dealing with a huge mess with my insulin pump company and a medical supply house. I had to stay off the phone in case someone called.
    Maybe satan did try to cause problems today because I had them so bad, I was literally shaking.
    I've been calling on His power all afternoon, as some things are not yet resolved.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Psalm 37:5 Trust him and he will help you.
    Powerful words. I am feeling the help.
    Laura you are in my prayers. Will pray by my bed tonight for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Robbie. My situation got taken care of but the pump company has started causing issues for other patients and so my incident and my sharing it on a web site has helped others know what is going on. I am praying financial assistance now for a new pump so I can remove myself from that company.
    Will be praying for you and all.

    Reporting another 7/7 and so thankful for the daily readings!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello. I was out of town this last week taking my middle child to college. It was so sad since she and I are so close. But I keep her in my prayers. Have discovered with my oldest that colleges seem to try to keep kids busy and away from God. But I am praying that she will find a church. She is timid so this will have to be Holy Spirit inspired. So if you will keep her in your prayers, her name is Emilee.

    I loved reading Nehemiah's prayers and how he led the people. It gave me such hope and inspiration. Also, I am so excited to get to make the actual call in this Saturday. God is good all the time! All the time, God is good! I know this will bless me in the upcoming week. Thank you Becky. I have read and reread the devotional book and your book on prayer. I have a prodigal so it is the only way I get through some days. God's blessings on you all. I will keep you in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lorraine, praying God finds the absolute right church for Emilee, and keeps all of you in His special care.
    Laura.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello, everyone!

    I realized tonight that although I had kept up with the daily Bible reading, I sort of skipped over this week's postings and never listened to the call until a few minutes ago. [It was my first week back to school, so after days of meetings and room preparation for the opening day of school, I just didn't keep up with the blog.]

    How grateful I am that I had a chance to listen to the call tonight and read all of your posts. Lorraine, I hope that Emilee settles in and soon feels at home at her college; I will pray for both of you. Laura, I'm so sorry to hear about the problem with the insulin pump and pray that the equipment issue is settled and the medicine has a chance to do its work. Praying also that you'll feel God's presence and his peace this week.

    Robbie, I know you are experiencing a difficult period in your life, but please know that your thoughts and written prayers are an inspiration to us. God is using you to bless others; you are a blessing to our group.

    Have a great week, everyone!

    ReplyDelete