This week is a wonderful week to meditate on the challenge to love...biblically. Though you and I have read I Corinthians 13 many, many times...it (for some unexplainable reason) described love to me in a very relevant way (perhaps because it is in NLT and I've memorized it in NIV?)...
Verse 7 reads, "Love NEVER GIVES UP, NEVER LOSES FAITH, is ALWAYS HOPEFUL, and ENDURES THROUGH EVERY CIRCUMSTANCE."
My friend has been given a very somber diagnosis from her oncologist. Outside of God performing a miracle, medicine has lost its ability to heal/help her. When I pray for her, I hold onto this verse. I encourage you to do the same. We can't look at the impossibilities or listen to the doubters, nay-sayers or negative voices. When it comes to "faith, hope, and love," we can never give up!
Remember this week's call is on Saturday, August 27 at 9 am PST.
Be encouraged,
Becky
Sunday, August 21, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Becky,
ReplyDeleteI haven’t yet posted comments on this current week’s topic, but I feel compelled to respond to what you wrote today.
I have never seen the connection between I Corinthians 13 and the book of Job before, but you have captured it in a nutshell! This morning, as I read the CYL Bible, I was struck by Job’s response to the tragic news brought by the four messengers who gave him, one after another, pieces of devastating news, ending with the death of all of his children. Verses 20-21 reveal him immediately falling “to the ground to worship,” acknowledging that all he had ever had came from God, and ending with “Praise the name of the Lord,” and Verse 22 says, “In all of this, Job did not sin by blaming God.”
You pointed out Verse 7 from I Corinthians; certainly Job “never [gave] up, never [lost] faith], and “endure[d] through [almonst unimaginable] circumstance[s].” Today’s reading ended with Job feeling pretty hopeless, and even asking, “Why is life given to those with no future, those God has surrounded with difficulties?” And yet, we know from the “rest of the story” that God was always in the answer!
Today in church, our pastor preached a very powerful sermon based on Acts 27. His primary text came from verses 29-31, but he walked us through most of the chapter, from the time Paul and Luke, on board a ship with many other passengers, faced strong tempests. Early in the chapter, Paul warned the others that he feared disaster before they got to Rome; however, later in the evening, he was visited by an angel telling him that he “must be brought before Caesar; and indeed God has granted you all those who sail with you.” Our pastor pointed out four vital life lessons from this section:
from vs. 24: We shouldn’t be afraid--even in the toughest of times, for we then become irrational.
from vs. 29: We should pray about our difficulties--for nothing is too difficult for God.
from vs 31: We should “stay on the ship” (our Christian walk)--for if we “jump ship” or give up, all may be lost.
from vs. 34: Take nourishment when things get difficult--We can handle things better if we take care of ourselves!
During his message, our pastor alluded to the very passage from Job that I had read this morning--the part about the wind coming along, collapsing the house, and killing all of his children! He also recalled the time a few years ago when his daughter lay near death in the hospital, and the doctors said there was nothing more they could do for her. (Becky, you might remember my writing about this incident in another group. He had found her Sunday morning in a diabetic coma, and when the doctors examined her later, they said her kidneys and liver were shutting down, and they could do no more but try to make her comfortable.) Realizing that the only thing he could do was pray, he made a very specific request of God: With her oxygen level almost at zerio, he said, “Lord, please bring her oxygen up to 80; that will be a sign that she has a chance.” Over the next minutes, the level slowly began to go up. Within a half hour, it had reached 80, but that was only for a brief period, and then it went down again, almost to zero. The next day, the doctors told Pastor and his wife that they were sorry, but there was no hope for Amy, but he held on to that sign from God. . . .
Now a beautiful young woman, Amy is in her second year of college. Although she has had some frightening moments in the hospital since that time, she has hope for a bright and healthy future.
May your friend find peace and comfort and hope for her own healthy future, Becky. I will definitely keep her (and you!) in my prayers. . . . By the way, Pastor Will always says that until we have finished what God has planned for us to do, we are immortal. I like that philosophy, don’t you?
Have a wonderful week. I will look forward to next weekend’s conference call!
Wanda, Amy's story gives us all hope. Thank you!
ReplyDeleteWow, thanks for sharing Wanda.
ReplyDeleteWell I am seeing some things in Job I havent seen before, and in fact I dont believe I have read the book for a long long time.
I'll try to pick up some of those and share later, as well as ponder Becky's thoughts here on Love.
I do enjoy reading the NLT translation. It's perfect for reading daily!
Had a challenging time at my mothers this week. Thursday's reading gave me direction. I Cornithians 16:13 "Be on guard. Stand firm in the faith. Be courageous Be strong and do everything with love" Holy Spirit pour out your love on me and through me was my prayer. My older brother lives a very hard life, my heart was broken for him. I guess I need to add him to my on my knee prayer time. I have a ringer on my computer and a note on my coffee maker to remind me of the 9am call.
ReplyDeleteVery powerful testimony of the power of prayer and obedience to God.
ReplyDelete...And the timing. For that to be the entry in that book five years ago. wow.
ReplyDeleteWanda, I hope you make it safely through the storm. My BIL runs a hotel down near the beach in NC and he has already re-opened for business. Praying the storm will fizzle as she goes.
And gee, do you think I might stop putting down the wrong code for the wrong call?
While I'm here, 7/7 again.
What an amazing call yesterday! I haven't stopped thinking about it. . . .
ReplyDeleteRobbie, I will keep you and your family in my prayers this week. You've been so strong through your family struggles this summer, but I know you've been a blessing to those around you.
Laura, thank you for your well wishes. We had quite a storm here yesterday, but it was not nearly as bad as the forecasters had predicted. Many trees were blown down, and more than half a million homes and businesses in our area lost power, but there were very few real casualties. Rain came through one of the ceiling fans and lights on my back porch and soaked the carpet, but otherwise my house was intact. Almost all the school systems in the state, with the exception of the extreme western part, are closed tomorrow. (Who would have thought we would have an earthquake, hurricane, and "snow day" all within the first five days of classes?)
I hope everyone has a great week. I look forward to Wednesday's call (though I probably will have to listen to the recorded version).
God bless!
I agree with Wanda what an amazing call. Thank you for the prayer Becky. It was a true God thing that the call was moved to Saturday because I just can't make the calls during the week with my work schedule. My oldest daughter has left for graduate school and as usual as left a wake of pain in her path. She told me tonight that she believes in God and prays but just doesn't go to church because there are too many sinners (my words not hers) who talk behind her back, think they are more righteous, etc. all the lies that Satan loves for God's people to believe to keep them from worshipping.
ReplyDeleteBefore the call, I pulled out the "Sacred Obsession" devotional book. It has been a couple of years since I read it so it was interesting that you referenced that reading that you wrote five years ago. God has been giving me these "God Moments" lately to help me to "NEVER GIVE UP, NEVER LOSE FAITH".
Wanda, I am glad to hear the storm wasn't as predicted and that you are safe.
You are all in my prayers and am thanking God for this group.
7/7 this week.
Blessing on your week.
I just prayed for all of you on this blog and I just knew that it would get lost. So tonight if you are feeling encouraged or have a better nights sleep know that God heard my prayers even if this blogger didn't want you to.
ReplyDeleteThis year when I asked my husband to go to church with me he said yes.
Every week that we have been in town we have gone to church together. Carol & Lorraine never give up. Pray with out ceasing. I went 20 years by myself.
I'm here, reading every day, but having trouble getting in to post...so here it is...let see if the computer thinks I exsist today.
ReplyDeletePaige, you can always hit Name (do not enter URL) and it will post like this.......
ReplyDeleteBlogger doesnt always behave for me either, but at least this way you get in.
I'll do it here so you can see..................