Sunday, May 20, 2012

Mary and Martha

This week in the CYL Daily Bible, Jesus' friends (with whom he "shares" meals and fellowship) need Him.  He comes. He weeps. He inspires. He raises the dead. They worship Him.

Would you like to do a little research (for me)? Post any information you can gather from commentaries (reference, please) and/or cross-reference verses about Lazarus, Martha and Mary with your comments!

I am curious about Mary, especially.

Be encouraged,

Becky


12 comments:

  1. [3.] When Martha went to meet Jesus, Mary sat still in the house. Some think she did not hear the tidings, being in her drawing-room, receiving visits of condolence, while Martha who was busied in the household-affairs had early notice of it. Perhaps Martha would not tell her sister that Christ was coming, being ambitious of the honour of receiving him first.Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Others think she did hear that Christ was come, but was so overwhelmed with sorrow that she did not care to stir, choosing rather to indulge her sorrow, and to sit poring upon her affliction, and saying, I do well to mourn. Comparing this story with that in Luke 10:38, etc., we may observe the different tempers of these two sisters, and the temptations and advantages of each. Martha's natural temper was active and busy; she loved to be here and there, and at the end of every thing; and this had been a snare to her when by it she was not only careful and cumbered about many things, but hindered from the exercises of devotion: but now in a day of affliction this active temper did her a kindness, kept the grief from her heart, and made her forward to meet Christ, and so she received comfort from him the sooner. On the other hand, Mary's natural temper was contemplative and reserved. This had been formerly an advantage to her, when it placed her Christ's feet, to hear his word, and enabled her there to attend upon him without those distractions with which Martha was cumbered; but now in the day of affliction that same temper proved a snare to her, made her less able to grapple with her grief, and disposed her to melancholy: But Mary sat still in the house. Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 2. She sat to hear, which denotes a close attention. Her mind was composed, and she resolved to abide by it: not to catch a word now and then, but to receive all that Christ delivered. She sat at his feet, as scholars at the feet of their tutors when they read their lectures;Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible. (note on Mark 10:38, Henry).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some of the other interesting facts included the family itself (brother and sisters, no parents present), status or jobs (Lazarus) and was this the same Mary who washed Jesus' feet with her hair. Lots of info out there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't have a Martha or Mary story but something I want to shout from the rooftops at God's answer to prayer. I am telling it to this group as I feel a strong connection to you all.
    I meet with a gal that every wednesday we pray. Over the years the prayers have changed for our husbands. We have watched God unfold his plan in his time. I never thought I would ever see any of the changes that have happened. Never give up praying.
    My husband started going to church with me. Then I noticed he was singing. Sometimes he goes after the service and talks to the preacher. He had some heart issues this year and stopped drinking. Drum roll please...... Last night was his birthday, I made his favorite meal, put out the best china, flowers and cake on a pretty platter. I even put a dress on to celebrate the occasion and let him know how special he is.
    We all sat down and He PRAYED. First time ever. We were all stunned and over joyed at God's faithfulness. I have prayed for years but figured husbands becoming christians were other women's husbands not mine. So if you have a prayer that hasn't been answered keep on praying and praying. Prayer matters!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Robbie, thanks so much for this reminder to pray. How awesome. It brings me a lot of hope in praying for my husband. God has been showing me I get weary of it, and that satan pretty much wants me to be feeling defeated.
    I'm so blessed by your post.
    Wow. Amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Robbie, thank you for your post. I get weary praying sometime for lost children and a husband with a lukewarm faith. Your post blesses me also. Have a blessed weekend ladies.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Speaking of husband's: Mine was attacked this morning while standing outside a gas station. A man accused him of staring him down, and my husband was just minding his own business the whole time.
    Anyway, he got pushed very very hard and his bad knee is severely swollen. Praise God it's a holiday weekend and we have no work till Tuesday. But we lost a job today, and spent a good deal on doctors and prescriptions.
    I'm really seeking God on a healing for the knee, and think (guardedly) it has gone down some this evening.
    What's disturbing is no employee of the station and no bystander would help him when he was screaming for help. He asked them to please call 911 and they refused. Unbelievsable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lord, the great healer. We lift up Laura's husband to you, heal his body and give him inner peace that only you can provide. Make this day, one he can be productive in. Encourage Laura and provide for their needs. Above all else may you be revealed and honored. Amen

      Delete
  9. Guess what the password was to publish that last comment: truth; renekd my eyes saw truth renewed. Pretty cool huh! God is the truth and he will renew us.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Robbie. We are going to have to try to find a dr. today and it looks like we will lose the entire week of work. I'm continuing to pray God will heal this knee entirely.
    Husband is in lots of pain.

    ReplyDelete